I have written all the text on this Web site, except for 1) content such as bios I’ve credited that were written by others; 2) reviews of books reprinted here with permissions; 3) excerpted poems or other text written and copyrighted by third parties; and 4) press releases and other news sent in by third parties, credited to them. All text, other than the main content of the site itself (my research and writing), is followed or prefaced by the author’s name, is copyrighted by that author, and may not be reprinted or distributed in any manner without permissions from that author.
Text written by me may be reprinted and distributed, but only under these conditions:
1) Write to me first to get my permissions.
2) Credit “Mary (Sands) Woodbury” as the author, and provide a link to my site.
3) If you are a student using content written by me for a research paper, you may cite small sections of the the content that I’ve written here on Jack Magazine / Beat News, as long as you give credit to me, Mary Sands, and provide as a footnote or other referral the link to this site. I’d also appreciate an e-mail, though it’s not required.
Larry Keenan & Gordon Ball Photo Galleries
All photos on the Larry Keenan gallery (as well as his photos sprinkled around this site) are copyrighted by Larry Keenan and are used here with his permissions. These photos may not be distributed, reprinted, or copied to another website, a print publication, or any other publishable medium. More information is available at the gallery. All photos on the Gordon Ball Gallery, as well, are copyrighted by him and my not be copied, distributed, reprinted, or used in any other manner without written permission from Gordon. More information is available at his gallery.
Fair Use Act
The doctrine of fair use is described at 17 U.S.C. Section 107.
“Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include – (1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for or nonprofit educational purposes, (2) the nature of the copyrighted work, (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole, and (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.”
Beat Generation News, to the best of my knowledge, follows these guidelines.
1) Beat News is a reporting/news site; it provides news about current events and new books. Note: the revamping of the original news site is a more static project, though there are news updates in this domain, celebrating the continuance of the beats (see Twitter and Jack Magazine’s blog).
2) It’s an educational and scholarly site. Its content is about a literary movement called The Beat Generation. Several professors who teach beat literature ask their students to use my site as a resource during research.
3) Of the retyped text that’s on Beat News, all of it is excerpted from a larger poem or more rarely excerpted from a larger collection of works, and, to the best of my knowledge, these excerpts meet the substantiality requirements of the Fair Use Act. All text is presented in the context of further study into an author’s history or bio–or relates, in context, to the beats in general.
4) Beat News is a nonprofit site. The only overhead is paid by me, and that is the cost of the ISP and the server space.
5) Retyped text excerpts are used in small amounts when compared to the work as a whole, and the purpose of providing these texts falls within the clause: “for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research.”
Beat News is part of Jack Magazine, both created by the same author, spanning from the mid-1990s to 2009.